A Moment of Truth: Transforming our Legal and Business Landscape to be a Force for Good
Time & Location
About The Event
Wednesday 30 September 2020
8 am PDT | 11 am EDT | 4 pm BST | 5 pm CEST
CPD | 90 minutes self-certified CPD points
On 30 September, esela - The legal network for social impact and the International Bar Association Business and Human Rights Committee host this online session on the topic of ‘A Moment of Truth: Transforming our Legal and Business Landscape to be a Force for Good'.
As the Covid-19 pandemic shakes the foundation of our global economy and the West erupts in protest over systemic inequities, the call for businesses to be a force for good and the impact investing movement have taken on a new urgency.
Integral to this effort are governmental and corporate respect for human rights, communities and the environment. Millions of workers have lost jobs and millions more work in dangerous conditions. Global supplies chains and who economies are at risk. What can legal and business leaders do to address these challenges and turn them into opportunities for positive change?
Please join leading international business and human rights lawyers who will explore the legal landscape for business in a time of economic and social upheaval. Their discussion will include a review of the baseline human rights criteria and evolving international standards that all companies must meet before they can truly be a force for good.
- Edith Hofmeister - Berkeley, California; Vice Chair, IBA Business Human Rights Committee (Moderator)
- Samantha Davies - Barrister at Great James Street Chambers, London
- Elise Groulx-Diggs - Washington, DC; Co-Chair of IBA Business Human Rights Committee; Associate Tenant at Doughty Street Chambers, London; "Of Counsel" of Alkyne in Paris, France and Geni & Kebe in Dakar, Sénégal; "Of Counsel" to the Endo et Associés in Montréal, Québec, Canada
- Roger Martella - Director and General Counsel at General Electric, Boston, Massachussetts; Council Member, IBA Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law (SEERIL)
- Amandeep Sandhu - Counsel at Zargar Lawyers + Business Strategists, Vancouver, British Columbia
With introductory remarks from Roberto Randazzo, President of esela - The legal network for social impact, Partner at R&P Legal Studio Associato, Milan and External Communications Officer, IBA Business Human Rights Committee.
This session is co-presented with the IBA Business Human Rights Committee, supported by the IBA Arbitration Committee and the IBA Corporate Counsel Forum.
esela - The legal network for social impact is a non-profit global network of lawyers and allies, working to create a sustainable and inclusive economy that promotes positive social impact.
We are interested in the role of the law and lawyers in reshaping legal systems and practice for good through impact investing, social entrepreneurship, business and human rights, the response of business to the climate emergency, 'profit with purpose' and related disciplines.
30 Sept | Online Event | A Moment of Truth: Transforming our Legal and Business Landscape to be a Force for Good RSVP https://bit.ly/3ggf3AH @esela_eu @IBAevents #eselaonline #bizhumanrights
- A Moment of Truth£0£00£0