Delivering on Net Zero: The Role of the In-House Lawyer
Time & Location
About The Event
Tuesday 29 June 2021
10:00 am EDT (New York) | 15:00 BST (UK) | 16:00 CEST (Milan) | 19:30 IST (Delhi)
CPD | 90 minutes self-certified CPD points.
Mobilising the legal profession to help bring about the transition to net-zero requires wide-spread and substantial engagement.
In-house lawyers are ideally placed to help deliver meaningful climate action as internal advocates for net zero.
This webinar, hosted by esela - The legal network for social impact, will share how counsel at E.ON, Deutsche Bank, Certas Energy, ARUP, Colt Technologies and GSK are working to embed climate considerations within their organisations.
The role of law and lawyers in addressing the climate crisis
The legal profession is beginning to take notice and play an active role in addressing the climate crisis. Solutions to climate change within law are accelerating with the development of open-source climate aligned contract clauses and new model laws by The Chancery Lane Project, and tools for law-firms to apply in reducing their carbon footprint through The Legal Sustainability Alliance.
As the Race to Zero speeds up, governments and policy makers are increasingly using taxation incentives and public procurement to signal that climate considerations are now good business practice. Within this context, while law firms are considering their climate commitments, in-house lawyers are working with their companies to accelerate the transition.
This session will focus on the role and experiences of in-house counsel, and will present principles that can be applied to bring about a climate conscious transition in their organisation.
Find out how in-house lawyers are:
- Building knowledge of the implications of climate change to deliver their role
- Advising on transition risks of changes needed to achieve net zero emissions, physical risks if climate change is left unchecked and greenwashing risks if net zero targets fall short or commitments are unmet.
- Embedding net zero targets through the work of the legal team, including in contracts and supply chains.
- Working towards ‘legitimate’ net zero, by ensuring that in addition to the main climate pledge, there are suitable interim targets and a robust plan.
This event will be in English and is free to attend.
Please note, as the event has limited capacity you are advised to tune in early to be sure of a place. After the event, the recording will be made available to all registered attendees.
- Paul Clements-Hunt, Investment Advisor, UNDP Joint Sustainable Development Goal Fund & Founder of The Blended Capital Group
- Kirin Kalsi, Head of Legal UK at E.ON
- Tamuna Cheishvili, Legal Counsel at Deutsche Bank
- Stephanie Beat, Head Of Legal and Compliance at Certas Energy
- Daniel Grimwood, Senior Legal Counsel at ARUP
- Alessandro Galtieri, Deputy General Counsel at Colt
- Anthony Kenny, Assistant GC Corporate and CBS at GSK
- Sarah Dobson, Executive Director of esela - The legal network for social impact
- Adam Woodhall, Executive Director of Lawyers for Net Zero
esela - The legal network for social impact is a non-profit global network of lawyers and allies, working to create a sustainable and inclusive economy that promotes positive social impact.
We are interested in the role of the law and lawyers in reshaping legal systems and practice for good through impact investing, social entrepreneurship, business and human rights, the response of business to the climate emergency, 'profit with purpose' and related disciplines.
Delivering on Net Zero: The Role of the In-House Lawyer | 29 June | esela Online Event | RSVP http://bit.ly/esela29Jun | #eselaonline @esela_eu @london_climate #LCAW2021 #netzero #law | Meet the speakers: https://bit.ly/3wPtRzo
To register for the event, click on the + sign next to zero.
This will add a ticket to your basket and allow you to RSVP.
- Delivering on Net Zero£0£00£0